Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What Makes A Farmers' Market Successful?


For the past few years, I have been a customer at several different farmers’ markets in Boston where Kimball Fruit Farm sells produce. I couldn’t help noticing there were always a lot of customers around their stalls. Often there would be a line of waiting customers, while other nearby businesses would have only a few customers. Yet, the vegetables all looked similar.

What, I wondered, made Kimball’s stand so popular? Something had to be different, and I wanted to know what it was.

The only way to find out was to ask, so that is what I did. I interviewed Marie Hills, who with her husband Carl, owns and operates Kimball Fruit Farm in Pepperell, Mass.

Marie knows the business side of the farm’s operation. She attributes its success to good farming practices, good help, good business practices and personal qualities of both the family and their employees.

To see the full interview go to
http://www.edibleboston.net
To see the full story go to
http://www.www.farmersmarketstoday.com/index.phpoption=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=48

No comments: